The view from the other side for once..Muslim men’s experiences of finding the ONE online

Normally I wouldn’t par-take in the self indulgence of claiming to know what’s wrong with everyone by enforcing my irrelevant opinion of entire people based on my experience with a relatively low number considering the number of people who are out there looking. However, it seems men are always being portrayed as the ones for the reason behind “women” not being able to get married.

Neither am I going to indulge in some clichéd biographical explanation about how I have found myself or learned about myself in this process. At 35 years old, I’d like to think I know myself pretty well. For the sake of balance and sticking up for guys who are genuine, I shall lend my opinion.

Admittedly, I thought it would be easy myself, “how hard can it be to get married” well, after almost a year, very hard – and that’s just by looking at some of the profiles. I don’t even need to go so far as meeting/talking to someone to find flaws in the process.

“This is the way I understand it: You read a basic profile of someone, they read yours. You exchange pictures. If there’s mutual interest, you have a conversation to introduce yourself. This may involve even exchanging numbers. At some point, you arrange a meeting with the parents. If there is an agreement between both parties, that is when you have the permission to meet each other more regularly to get to know each other – whether that leads to marriage or not.” I have taken this quote from a previous blog so I hope the writer doesn’t mind, but as it was this post that “pushed” me to write an Encore

“You read a basic profile of someone, they read yours. You exchange pictures” Let’s start here shall we. So the basic profile, how basic is a basic profile?

The I’ve just joined at 2AM  – They start with the “just joined so will fill in later” what exactly does that mean, when you apply for a credit card, do you just fill in half your details, you go to a job interview what to do you, walk out half way? Why don’t you just join at a time when you can fill out your details and write a profile? All that says to us guys is you aren’t serious, and no serious guy will entertain such profiles. Oh yes, the players may have a shot, but what do you expect.

I have no personality or life – You know the ones, “I really don’t know what to write about myself” so what you are saying is that you have done nothing in your life, have no interests and have no personality. In which case, you probably don’t have anything to write.  Or, you have “don’t want to plaster my life over an app” well you going to have to write something, how else will we know if we are going to be interested, or anything that peaks our interest. As a tip though, for those who do struggle, how about writing about your interests, a few personality traits, what you like as a person, likes/dislikes.

Message me’s – well firstly, they clearly struggle with apps and technology because what they haven’t fathomed is that they need to match with someone before you can message each other.

Blind daters/Window Shoppers – A funny species, they state looks aren’t important, yet have their profiles blurred. So basically  if they like the look if you they’ll get in touch. I struggle to fathom why you would have you pic hidden and I have heard all of the excuses. My cousins are on here, I don’t want my friends seeing, and “I’m all about personality.”  Can we all just stop trying to be idealists and state yes looks do matter; everyone wants someone who they are attracted to. Why it is such a taboo I will never know. The window shoppers will have their pics on show but fill in their profile by writing “blah blah blah blah” to or “is this 200 words yet” because they are only interested in looks.

Don’t do ugly –As bad as the Cilla Blacks, probably worse as they are arrogant enough to advertise their shallowness by stating they are after someone “good looking.” So, can anyone definitely generally define good looking to suit the masses? Everyone wants someone good looking but everyone’s idea of “good looking” is individual to them, to actually state it all you are doing is showing your shallowness.

The busy bee’s – They either state on their profiles I am extremely busy so don’t come on much or when you talk to them they reply 3 days later saying sorry “have been busy.” Well, I don’t think I go a few hours without looking at my PHONE, or speaking to mates on my PHONE so kudos to those who do. I emphasise PHONE because this app is phone based ? If you are too busy to talk to anyone with regards to finding yourself a husband, then perhaps you should wait until either you are less busy or are willing to make the effort required and expected.

My religion is between me and Allah – the ones that switch as soon as you ask them a religious question or about their inclination towards the deen. Now, if getting married is half your deen, and marriage completes your deen, then I think it’s quite fundamental to ask about ones religiousness irrespective of how religious anyone is.  I, for example state on my profile I attend and believe in the Mawlid, that’s not to cause debate or argumentation. It’s because I am after someone who is of the same standing as me for the reason stated above. Yet the amount of women who seem to ignore that point, of match choosing to ignore it is ridiculous. Then all that shows me is you didn’t read my profile and I am put off instantly.

Ssssssshhhhhh – My parents don’t know I’m looking. First of all, why don’t they know? Or is it a case you shouldn’t be looking for yourself? And if things do progress, how will you say you met. I assume you will have to lie? Not the best way to start the next stage of your life.

I could go on and on, but the point of this post is to provide some balance to the continuous guy bashing and to provide women with a reflection of where they go wrong before even speaking to someone so they can fix up their profiles. If you don’t portray yourselves at seriously making an effort, you aren’t going to attract serious people. Though, maybe that’s what you’re after. There are after all two people involved, I think some women expect the guy to make all the effort, what are you going to do? You want to get married or be waited on? It’s a two way process, the least you can do is meet us half way.

The process, there is no set process; everyone has their own way of doing stuff. Someone people want to be comfortable with the person before they take them home to their respective parents, others want the families, uncles aunties and grandparents involved before they have even met the person they are speaking to. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of balance. I remember listening to a talk by sheikh Muhammed Al-Yaqoubi called “Muslims, making marriage easier”, maybe of interest to some.

Have I just generalised? You bet, isn’t that what all these posts are for because not everyone is the same.

That said, I do believe muzmatch to be the best of the apps by far. Yes they have a few issues, like being a little quicker when you report a profile, which in my case will be for “blah..blah..will fill in later..” though that will come as they grown inshallah. I believe they genuinely understand the responsibility they have taken on and are doing so sincerely. However, they will always be reliant on the quality of their user’s so it’s up to us to share that burden.

I’ll end with this, on the note of talking to multiple people at the same time, Collet Khouri said it best

“ I want someone who loves me while they know that there are many that are prettier and smarter than me, someone who loves me because their soul and mine blended and because my ideas matched theirs….. I don’t not want someone loves me because after comparing me with others they found that I am better than others”

I pray everyone finds the best partner for them inshallah.

This wasn’t a calculated choreographed piece written for a tabloid. It was just an off the cuff response to the tiresome barrage of flack guys have to take, so if there are some grammatical issues, I am extremely busy so didn’t have time to go through it all ?

By a keen muzmatcher

1. Ahsan says:

You forgot about the Muslims “sisters” looking for a Muslim “brother” to marry ?

That blog is on point though??

2. Ms. A says:

You have very valid points. My conclusion is (came to this conclusion before both articles were written ) their are time wasters on both sides. You can find these profile traits with both men and women (not all).

3. Mr. OK says:

Thanks for writing this piece! I was left wanting to read more — especially in regards to mutual effort. Quite frankly, as a guy, I’ve grown tired of being the one chasing all the time. Like I have to make all the effort and be evaluated as someone just sits there, hardly initiates or reciprocates, and waits for me to win them over. Sometimes I just don’t want to bother trying anymore because many of these girls who say they’re serious dont seem to bto serious about investing their own time and effort into the process of getting to know someone.

• Oak says:

Thanks, I am the one who wrote the blog. Don’t worry, I have one on “effort” or lack of currently in the making ??

4. O.G. says:

I couldnt agree more. I think there are more issues that could be touched upon as well. Personally, after trying to meet someone online for years, I’ve given up. Online dating just doesn’t work for me. And unfortunately I rarely meet muslims within my work and recreational settings. I’ve just accepted the fact Ill be single, and sadly at this point in my life it just seem like more effort then its worth to get married.

Thanks for the post!

• Oak says:

Thanks for reading. If you have any other points and if i have experienced them i’ll add them on the growing list lol Have to say I find myself in pretty much the same situation, i’m not really cut out for this online stuff and similarly can’t remember the last time i bumped into a female muslim. I think i’ll put more effort into writing then finding.

Good luck

5. Some Random Girl says:

Oh wow I’m a female and completely agree with everything you have said.. Big up Mawlid!! Why haven’t we matched?!?! Lol all the best 🙂

• Oak says:

Hahah, thank you. Maybe we have lol check out the FB post n you might find me there lol (if its allowed) All the best to you to and Carry on the Mawlid. 🙂

6. Pearl says:

The lack of personality & effort must be on both sides because I’m a female user and equally fed up of guys writing ‘200 characters! What…grr…blahh’ ‘fill in later’ …but in a way this is good because we know these ppl r not serious and a definite left swipe.
    When you do match it can be equally dire and dry…I feel like I make all the effort..I make the other person laugh even tho they r supposed to have ‘GSOH’ according to profile …I initiate serious convo…in return guys respond with one word answers…as if waiting for a miracle…that a woman is going to fall for their boring personality/confused nature/lack of communication skills
    #rantover
    It’s tough on both sides…hang in there guys..and ladies

• MBR-518 says:

Asalaamualaykum Sister. I have switched up and rewritten my profile so many times I have lost count. As of right now I have put my Deen in my profile (it is the leading factor for Marriage according to our Prophet Muhammad SAW). Not sure if you’re still looking but I am very much still out there looking for the one whom Allah has decreed me to be with. Insha’Allah just look for the name.

7. Hassan says:

Imagine someone matched with me by the name sensitiveSoul, 35 and she unmatched me without giving me the chance to say hi, guess she was upset I didn’t respond to her message immediately, not knowing I did put off my Internet connection to enable me study. I am Hassan.

8. Nutella says:

Maybe muzmatch should arrange dating events for all us who are slowly giving up on finding ‘the one!’…….I get matches. I initiate conversation. No reply. How difficult is it to just be courteous these days?!

9. Nutella says:

All someone has to say is ‘sorry, I’m busy, will contact you shortly’ or just unmatch me if you’ve changed your mind……just don’t leave me hanging!

*Sigh*……rant over…

10. Alqaqa says:

im not a part of this website, a friend is, he told me about it a few days ago and I found the concept quite intriguing (and amusing) so I just came on to the website about an hour ago and looking around. didn’t find any profiles of girls or guys, am assuming I need a internet phone or something. however, read a few articles including this one, found them very amusing, but is any of this like Islamic compliant? just asking. is at a Islamic site or posh paki thing? im not trying to antagonize anybody, just want to know.

11. Coco says:

“How hard can it be to get married”!
    ummmm….much harder than I had EVER anticipated!

As a female who resides on an island surrounded by sharks (no jokes), Muzmatch certainly does provide me with a myriad of options…. but there’s one thing that I’ve learnt over the past few months: quantity certainly doesn’t mean quality!!

This article highlights that the struggles we face in finding the ‘one’ are universal…..but I like to think that with each struggle it brings us that much closer to finding whoever we’re truly meant to be with-Don’t lose hope people 🙂

PS: Oak, thanks for a great read!

12. Zerobee says:

You missed the ‘I’m too insecure to show my photo”.

13. Maria says:

I’m a female and recently started using muzmatch. One thing I disagree with this post is that, I have blurred out my photos because I don’t want every random guy seeing me, I don’t know, just don’t feel comfortable to “show” myself to literally everyone but once someone matches with me I immediately show them my picture. It’s not that someone I know will see me, it’s just I don’t feel comfortable to show everyone. Also, I’m not subconscious about how I look either (some folks are photogenic, some are now really). Anyhow other than that this APP is literally making me depressed (although it’s definitely not the APPs fault, it’s the people). I get a match and then have a brief convo with guys and then all of a sudden I don’t hear from them. They just leave me hanging, I have a message for all those people who do this (guys and girl both), DON”T LEAVE THE OTHER PARTY hanging for God’s SAKE! if you don’t like me UNMATCH ME! The thing is, why don’t they unmatch you, if they don’t like you in the pictures? what the hell? I got fed up so I unmatched them! I only met one guy and he really liked me but we were looking for different things so we quit after the first date. I really wanted to try with him but he didn’t want to invest the time and energy 🙁 … Sigh, it’s been tiring just trying to get a hold of someone, it’s only been 20 days for me! I think i’ll just delete it and move on with my life that I’m not gonna be finding anyone like this.

14. Maria says:

My mom would love you for celebrating the Mawlid.. why didn’t we ever crossed paths in muzmatch.. lol..

15. Usman says:

Been using this app for a few months. Not a single match. My profile is complete too. Wrote two paragraphs describing myself. May be this app is not for me.

• Mazen says:

Do you get views bro? If you get views then maybe just need to tweak your profile. I can take a look if you want.

16. Mazen says:

Most of the people on this site are sheltered and have no real world or life experiences. So they come here naive and simple. Islam and the ethnicities that generally practice Islam do not teach their people how to communicate with one another. We all have an average communication skill-set of middle schoolers on a good day. I blame the parents, not mine of course, but everyone elses. Then of course their are those people, usually Palestinian or Pakistani, who arent here to meet Muslims but just here to meet someone from their mother’s neighborhood. You know, the ones who would rather marry the son of their mothers childhood falafel salesman than a decent God fearing man from any other nationality.

17. Aaqeelah says:

Great read Masha Allah and lol very true about the profiles for both males and females. I had a Muzmatch profile and it’s a great app, but there aren’t many people from where I’m from on it (South Africa). From my experience, talking to a guy long distance can be tricky. Especially with a big time difference. Not to say long distance is impossible, but both parties need to be willing to invest the time and energy it takes to see if they’re compatible…and again, in my experience it’s frustrating if the other person isn’t meeting you half way. Anyway, all the best to everyone searching Insha Allah.